‘Tis the season for holiday preparation, shopping, baking and lots of get togethers. To help you have a healthy holiday season we have prepared a list of preventative measures to practice:
Hand Washing. I’m sure you’ve never heard this before, but hand washing can kill bacteria and stop the spread of germs and sicknesses! Remember to use warm water and soap and use a towel to turn on/off the faucet and to open/close the doors. No paper towels? Try your elbows! And remember to sing this song while washing:
Image by Menzies School of Health Research
Remember the 3 “R’s” at family get togethers: Resist Relative Relations! When Aunt Sally comes in for a smooch or Uncle Larry is coming in for a strong handshake introduce them to the new fad of elbow bumps!
Image by Successories
- Be sure to stock up on your Fish Oil (Omega 3), Zinc, and Vitamin C and D! Taking daily supplements will help build your immune system to fight off cold and flu viruses.
- Make sure that your diet contains these super foods to help fight off the cold and flu:
- Colorful fruits and vegetables boost your circulating levels of all cold and flu fighting nutrients!
- Garlic helps build your immune system to most ailments brought on by the fall season.
- Homemade Chicken Soup! Containing a lot of colorful vegetables (such as carrots, celery and even onion and garlic), boosts your antioxidants and provides fluids to keep you hydrated! Plus, it will warm you up on those chilly fall days!
- Whole grains, such as buckwheat, brown rice and oats, help flourish the HEALTHY bacteria in your tummy that help tune up your immune system!
- Probiotics come in different forms and help you build a defense in your tummy against the cold and flu. Whether it’s a nice warm cup of tea to help warm you up, yogurt for a quick snack, or even a supplement form for on-the-go, studies have shown that a probiotic will help prevent sickness.
- Last, but definitely not least, keeping hand sanitizer and even disinfectant wipes handy always help! Going on a trip in an airplane, or even sitting down to a nice meal at a restaurant, take out your wipes and do a quick wipe down of your seat followed by a spritz of hand sanitizer.
Remember these tips and tricks and share them with your friends and family. Sharing these tips may help others NOT share germs. We wish you all a safe, healthy and fun holiday season from Bubon Orthodontics!