About Orthodontic Braces: The Path to Straighter Teeth
Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age, and adults especially appreciate the benefits of a beautiful smile. One of every four patients in Dr. Bubon’s practices is over 21! So adult treatment is much more common than it used to be. Plus, with clear braces adults no longer have to be concerned about the look of wearing traditional metal braces.
Many adults mistakenly are told that they need jaw surgery or teeth extracted in order to get their jaws aligned or teeth straightened. While it is true that the lack of ability to work with growth and development can lessen the number of treatment options for some adult patients, it is also true that there are modern methods for handling adult treatment that can prevent the need for extracting teeth or doing jaw surgery. Dr. Bubon has lectured to thousands of dentists and orthodontists about his non-extraction, non-surgical adult treatment methods.
We Have 5 Types of Braces for Our Patients
- Traditional Stainless Steel Braces – This is the choice for those who want “colors” on their braces [usually the pre-adult crowd!]. It is also the most cost-effective way to straighten your teeth. You should know that at Bubon Orthodontics, we use a modern brand of traditional braces called “Synergy”. Synergy braces use SWLF (Straight Wire Low Friction), the latest development in advanced orthodontic brace technology. Other styles of braces have a greater “binding effect” on the archwires that are put in the mouth.
- Clear Braces – These braces are made of a special kind of ceramic material [gone are the days of “clear plastic braces”!]. Modern technology has allowed ceramic braces to be very comfortable for the patient.
- Harmony Lingual Braces – For those who don’t want to show any braces at all, but are not a candidate for Invisalign treatment, we offer Lingual Braces. These braces are bonded to the backs of the teeth rather than the front. Adults can say goodbye to “metal mouth”. It is a different way of achieving the “invisible braces” goal for adults.
- “Self-Ligating” Braces – This reduces friction even more since no rubber ties are needed to hold the wires in place. If you don’t want colored ties on your braces, then this might be your best choice since your teeth can move even more quickly and more comfortably with these braces.
- Wild Smiles Braces – At Bubon Orthodontics, we strive to make every patient’s experience extraordinary! We understand that sometimes wearing braces can be challenging, which is why we offer WildSmiles, a fun and customizable alternative to traditional braces. With WildSmiles, patients can choose braces that best represent their personality! Patients can choose from four different shapes: stars, hearts, flowers, and diamonds. We’re excited to see what you choose!
FAQs About Orthodontics
- What is Orthodontics?
- Orthodontics is a specialized form of dentistry, at Bubon Orthodontics, we are a family treating families.
- When should a child visit an orthodontist?
- The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children first visit an orthodontist around the age of seven. However, orthodontic treatment is not exclusive to just children and teens!
- Should I see my general dentist while I have braces?
- Yes! Continue seeing your general dentist every six months for cleanings and dental checkups.
- How does orthodontic treatment work?
- Braces and Invisalign use steady, gentle pressure to gradually move teeth into their proper positions.
- How long does orthodontic treatment take?
- As we create a customized treatment plan, we also create a custom timeline for your orthodontic treatment! On average, treatment time is between 12-18 months.
- What are Phase I and Phase II treatments?
- Phase I begins before all permanent teeth have arrived. This often occurs between the ages of five and ten. During Phase I treatment we focus on making more space for developing teeth, correcting crossbites, overbites or underbites. Phase II treatment is when we begin braces! Phase II begins once the patient is over the age of 11.
- Do I need braces or Invisalign?
- You may want to consider braces or Invisalign if you begin to notice: visibly crooked or crowded teeth, difficulty flossing between teeth, biting your tongue or cutting your tongue on your teeth, stress or fatigue on your jawline after chewing, clicking sounds around your jaw when chewing and teeth that don’t close over each other properly.
- What are braces?
- Braces are made of stainless steel or titanium. They are made up of brackets, an archwire, and elastics. Braces are used by an orthodontist to help you transform your smile!
- Do braces hurt?
- Your braces and appliances are working hard to transform your new smiles. You may be sore or tender for a few days until your mouth gets used to the new additions!
- Should I brush more often with braces?
- Yes, healthy smiles are important! You should brush your teeth three times a day, and also after you eat. Don’t forget to floss daily, too!
- Am I too old for braces?
- Not at all! One in every four patients at Bubon Orthodontics is over 21, we customize your treatment to you and your lifestyle. Age is just a number!
- What happens when I get my braces off?
- We use special tools to gently loosen and remove the brackets and wire. Then we’ll remove the glue and polish your teeth so you can show off your new smile!
- How much do braces cost?
- As Wisconsin’s #1 value for braces and Invisalign, we offer braces up to 30% lower than others in the area! We also offer flexible financing options and accept most insurances.
- Can I still play instruments with braces?
- Yes! You might need a little time to adjust to playing your instrument with braces, however, you will still be able to play.
- Can I still play sports with braces?
- Yes! It’s recommended that you protect your smile by wearing a mouthguard when participating in any sporting activity. Mouthguards are inexpensive, comfortable, and come in a variety of colors and patterns.
- What is Invisalign?
- Invisalign is the virtually invisible way to straighten your teeth and give you the smile you’ve always dreamt of.
- Is Invisalign popular?
- Over 10 million patients worldwide have been treated with Invisalign, At Bubon Orthodontics we are Wisconsin’s #1 Invisalign provider and only Diamond+ provider in the state!
- What foods should I avoid when wearing Invisalign?
- Since Invisalign is removable, you are able to enjoy all your favorite foods during treatment just make sure to take out your aligners before you enjoy your meal! Only water is recommended if you are wearing your aligners.
- My teeth have shifted - can Invisalign fix it?
- Absolutely! A number of our adult Invisalign patients have had the previous treatment, often during their youth.
- How much does Invisalign cost?
- There’s no “one-size-fits-all” answer to this question. However, at Bubon Orthodontics we pride ourselves on being Wisconsin’s lowest cost for Invisalign, thanks to our Diamond+ provider status.